- 1st September to 15th September 2018 – main expedition dates
The expedition has a number of goals. The following are a few primary objectives:
Cueva del Nacimiento
- Jurassic World – Terror Firma – multiple avens and climbs,
- Pina Colada Bypass – a 3-10m rift leads off from the Pina Colada sump.
- Joe’s Crack – un-descended shaft behind Death Race camp.
- Teeth of Satan – Wet Aven – +30m aven with draft and calcite squeeze, requires enlarging.
- Dan’s Big Room – unexplored section of maze in area of Dan’s Big Room and Winter Gardens
- Parting Friends – a dive of the Parting Friends sump is planned.
Cueva de la Marniosa
- Beyond Sump 2 – a dive of sump 2 and exploration beyond is planned
Pico Boro (SUSS)
SUSS are also involved and will take on responsibility for exploring either Flowerpot on the Pico Boro area.
- FlowerPot – re-rigging and exploration of leads
- Surface sweep and logging of entrances in Sara Depression (around camp)
- Surface sweep and logging of entrances in Pico Boro area
Time and resources permitting there are a number of secondary objectives that will be attempted:
A large mine and natural cave complex in the Minas de Mazarrasa area. Pozo del Castillo series was explored to -292m depth in 1983, with either a howling draft or roaring waterfall beyond a constriction at the limit. The potential of the cave is significant but currently a collapse prevents getting to the end. Pozo Natacha series ends at -309m depth and is close to the same point in Castillo.
- Pozo Del Castillo – shoring and bypass of rock collapse Castillo remains a major lead, if we can get past the blockage!
- Pozo del Castillo – other entrances. FT16 entrance snow plug would appear to be the same blockage in lower Castillo passage. Snow plugs are reported further into the cave, so another entrance must exist!
- Pozo del Castillo – surveying of Natacha upper series and locating possible surface entrance,
- Pozo del Castillo – Natacha 1983 series. Attempt to get small, skinny person through current limit, otherwise derig and survey.
Valdelafuente / Sobra Valley
- Re-locate draughting surface entrance on Valdelafuente, close to 80m aven beyond Sump 1 in Cueva del Marniosa,
- T20 (Sobra Valley) – sandstone sink above Hall of the Mountain King in Cueva del Marniosa,
- Yorkshire Inlet in Cueva del Marniosa. Exploration of col above aven (also close to T20),
- Upstream series in Cueva del Marniosa. Large black voids above the streamway, if leads head to the South this is up the Valdelafuente
Sierra del a Corta
Above the furthest reaches in Nacimiento is the Sierra del Corta. A heavily wooded area with a number of promising leads, that could potentially drop into Nacimiento and provide an easier route into the back-end to aid exploration at the far reaches.
- T554 – large 100m shaft on the Sierra del a Corta, this requires some digging at the bottom,
- Al2 – a drafting shaft not yet bottomed. Jurassic World in Nacimiento appears to be heading directly towards this site,
- T294 Oh What Pot (La Gobia) – continuing passage,
- Surface prospecting close to vicinity of Terror Firma in Nacimiento. Terror Firma is only 40m vertically and 200m horizontally from some parts of the surface in the Sierra del a Corta region.
- Locate and survey General This may be another way into T87 Mazarrasa, bypassing entrance collapse. (most likely T88 Suerte or T89. T88 draughts strongly at junction inside)
- Locate and descend FT43, this draughts strongly. It is almost directly above Boulder Chamber in T87 Mazarrasa and would provide bypass to collapse at T87 entrance.
- Surveying of Nacimiento top entrance series. There are a number of unsurveyed and minor leads in the area,
- Prospecting on Hoyo Oscuro and Hoyo Evangalista. Highest entrances on the mountain range.
- Mine 2.32a – there is large unexplored level (with tram lines) leading to unexplored passage.